Saturday, January 19, 2013

Sand Glass Timer...




I went to a funeral last weekend of a gentleman who was so loved by the community for being a good husband, father and grandfather and active member of the parish doing a lot of volunteer works. At one point, the son came up to honor his father telling us memories of him with his dad when he was growing up, how he learned a lot of practical things from his father by just being always tagged along wherever the father went to volunteer. Mike was a good handy man in the house, from roof to floor, according to his son.  
I am a little nostalgic and cannot help but think of my own experience with my father. I am the oldest
and his only boy and so I was like his little buddy. Whenever possible I always went out with him. Sundays were my favorite days. Dad usually stayed home and played cards with me and mom or just with popcorn and soda enjoying our afternoon together, father and son. My favorite memory was when he let me help him fixed our home’s roofing. I was about fourteen years old. Equipped with hammer, nails, paint and other stuff we were together, son helping his father on top of the "world" as seen by a boy's eye. What a joyful memory of my youth. Dad has long been gone. But I still smile once in a while when I think of those good old memories of the past.
Going back to the mass I attended last weekend, the priest shared a story of  a girl who went to visit her grandfather whose hobby was to collect sand glass timers. So she asked the old man what that glass was for. The grandfather explained about the sand inside the glass and what it does to tell how much time left for him to do a thing and that through glass timer he can make right priorities each day. Kids never missed a thing. They do pay attention and ponder the words we adult say. Then one day, the grandfather got very sick and needed to go to the hospital. So the girl’s mother said to her daughter, “we are going to see grandpa, he is very sick and so I want you to make him happy, think of something you can bring to make him happy”. The little one paused and then she ran out and went to get a box and off went to fix her gift for grandpa.  When they arrived at the hospital, the little girl went up by the bedside of her grandfather and gave her nicely wrapped present. When the grandfather opened the box, it was full to the brim of sand. And the old man, smiled and gave his granddaughter a kiss. He knew what she meant of that gift… Do you? She wants that her grandfather's sand glass timer would last longer ,  that he can have more time.. to be with them.
Time is a precious gift, so precious to be wasted. Once today is over we cannot bring it back. In final analysis in the journey of life, what do we cherish the most? I cherish the moments that I experienced love. I cherish the time I was young and have memories with my father, our time working on the roof of our house or playing cards, giggling when he hugged me. His smile still so vividly imprinted in my memory.
Fifteen-Minute Sand TimerThe gift of life that you received give it as a gift to those you love and to others you meet, for when today is over, what memory would you have if you did not share it and have loved. As for me, I will not miss the chance if I could to share the love God has showered me by expressing it to the people that I love or God has placed before me to love in His Name. Or even those who rejects love, offer a prayer for them…that’s loving.Say or express those words, "I love you or I care" today, because you may not have the chance to say it tomorrow. Love saves…I urge you, don’t waste today by not loving. Set your priorities each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment