Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Lady in the Church

I have been coming to the same church for a while now and I often see this elderly lady with a lovely smile sitting always at the same spot in the church.  After Mass I noticed that she usually stays a while and with her rosary bids in her hands praying intently. Since most of the time I stay longer in the church like her, the lady and I are like familiar faces to each other. Yesterday, I approached her and we had a nice conversation until she asked me to pray for her intention. I happily said I will. Then I thought to ask her about THE GIFT.  What could it be for her?

She calmly said to me that for her it will be a short letter from her son who has been gone for over five years now without saying a word... On her calm and peaceful face came down tears as she said, she has adopted this child when he was only few months old since they cannot have a baby of their own. He has been the source of immense joy for her and her husband. They showered him with love and affection. Her husband just passed away less than two years  and now her only son is also gone. Where did she go wrong?

I was searching for words of consolation to give her but couldn't find one. With deep sympathy I said  I will remember her intention in my prayers. She tried to smile and said Thank you. Mary was her name.

I am sure I will see Mary again next Sunday at the same time and place in the church. What shall I say to her this time? I wonder.

For Mary, The Gift is  a short letter from her son... that will mean a lot to her for Christmas.

As I left her in the church, I asked myself, for a mother the return of her son will be the only gift she would ever want to receive. I hope her wish will come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment